- 3 cups of croutons (pick a flavor that sounds good to you)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 bell pepper, diced (your choice of color)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon basil
- salt and pepper
- breakfast meat can be used, I did not
- If you choose to use meat, you will want to thoroughly cook, and crumble or dice, it.
- Preheat 325 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 X 13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place croutons in the bottom of the dish and drizzle with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Crack eggs in a bowl and add milk, diced bell pepper, mustard, salt, basil and pepper, and beat until well-combined. (At this point add your meat as well.)
- Pour on top of the croutons and cheese in the casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe is pretty versatile. You could add any chopped vegetables you wanted, as well as any meat. You can also change up the flavor of your croutons and cheese. This could easily become garlic flavored croutons with mozzarella cheese and some Italian seasoning in your eggs, Caesar croutons with Parmesan cheese and a bit of Worcestershire Sauce, or omit the cheese add bacon or ham and make some hollandaise sauce to pour over, an Eggs Benedict casserole. This is a great recipe to use your imagination!